Commercial trucking companies have an obligation to operate their fleets in a safe manner. They must train their drivers properly, inspect their trucks regularly, and load their trailers safely. Unfortunately, despite a number of state and federal safety regulations that govern the trucking industry, catastrophic trucking accidents continue to occur far too frequently.
Following a collision with a commercial truck, it’s important to know how to protect your safety, health, and legal rights. The experienced truck accident attorneys at Johnson & Biscone, P.A. are passionate about helping injury victims seek the justice they deserve, and we will fight aggressively to help you obtain the full and fair compensation you need to get back on track.
Steps to Take After a Truck Accident
Following a wreck with a big rig or 18-wheeler, your immediate concern must be your health and safety. If you have sustained a serious injury, seek emergency medical attention right away. Depending on the severity of your injuries, you may need to be transported immediately to a hospital for urgent treatment.
If, however, you do not need emergency attention and you are able to safely take steps to protect your rights, consider the following:
- Call 911: Ask for a police officer to visit the accident scene and make a report of the accident. Request medical assistance if appropriate.
- Take photos: Take pictures of the accident scene, including pictures of your vehicle, the truck, and any injuries you may have sustained.
- Talk to witnesses: The accident scene may be your only opportunity to speak with people who may have witnessed the accident, such as pedestrians and other motorists.
- Obtain the driver’s information: Ask the driver to present you with his or her commercial driver’s license, as well as documentation about who owns the cab, the trailer, and the owner of the transported cargo.
- Call Johnson & Biscone, P.A.: Once you’ve talked to the police and received any necessary medical attention, contact our experienced truck accident attorneys right away. We will explain your rights and discuss what information you should bring to your free case evaluation at our office. Be aware that any answers you give to an insurance company can seriously undermine your case, so it’s always best to refer them to your lawyer.
Contact Our Oklahoma City Truck Accident Lawyers Today
The accomplished attorneys at Johnson & Biscone, P.A. have been fighting on behalf of truck accident victims in the Oklahoma City area for more than four decades. We understand the complexities of these complicated cases. We know how to identify the parties who are liable for your injuries and hold them accountable for your losses.
If you’ve been hurt in a truck accident, contact Johnson & Biscone, P.A. today online or at 405-232-6490 to schedule a free consultation. We serve clients in Oklahoma City, Edmond, Norman and the surrounding areas of Oklahoma.