A boat accident can be really scary. When you are left with severe physical injuries, or when someone is killed, the event will have reverberations far beyond the day of the accident. Our experienced team at Johnson & Biscone can help you decide your next steps. Give us a call at 405-232-6490 today to schedule your boating accident consultation at our Oklahoma City office!
What Are Common Reasons for Boating Accidents?
Like other motorized vehicles, boats take skill to operate safely. Protocols must be followed to keep passengers safe, and the boat’s captain has a responsibility to pay attention to their surroundings and prevent accidents.
Some of the most common causes of boating accidents include:
- Operating a boat under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Boater inexperience
- Disregard for others’ safety
- Colliding with another boat or a fixed object
- Boating in prohibited areas
- Choosing to operate the boat in adverse weather conditions
- Reckless or aggressive boat operation
- Faulty or defective boat components or design
Attorneys at Johnson & Biscone can investigate your claim to determine if someone else’s negligence caused the boat accident that injured you, in which case you may have a claim to pursue maximum compensation.
Are There Specific Laws Related to Boat Safety?
Yes, there are various state, local, and federal laws related to boating, as well as maritime regulations. For the most part, in Oklahoma, local laws apply to boating accidents. For example, in our state:
- The boat must carry one wearable personal floatation device (PFD) per person, and the PFD must be approved by the United States Coast Guard
- For boats less than 26 feet long, all passengers 12 and under must be wearing their USCG-approved PFD
- Boats that use flammable liquid as fuel must be equipped with a fire extinguisher
- Children under 12 may not operate a boat with more than 10 horsepower
- Boats must follow the right-of-way rules
Our attorneys can determine if there are any laws related to boating that may play a role in your injury claim.
Who Can Pursue a Boat Accident Lawsuit?
Injured victims can pursue a boat accident lawsuit against the at-fault party. This could be passengers of the boat, or passengers of another boat involved in the collision or incident. It could also be the owner of a boat who was injured because the boat parts were defective.
I was Injured While on a Cruise. Can I File a Compensation Claim?
Yes, you may be able to file a claim if you were injured on a cruise or another type of commercial boating operation. Ask our attorneys about whether you have a case.
Who Can be Held Legally Liable for Causing my Damages in a Boating Accident?
Every case is unique, but generally, liable parties in a boat accident may include:
- Boat captains
- Boat designers or builders
- Manufacturers of boats or boat parts
- Companies responsible for running a commercial lake or recreational area
Sometimes the liable party is not always clear, and you’ll need an experienced attorney to determine if someone is responsible. If you are involved in a boat accident, it’s important not to apologize or imply you are at fault; a careful investigation of the accident is necessary to get to the direct cause.
Can I Wait to File My Compensation Claim?
You shouldn’t wait too long to contact our attorneys after any type of accident resulting in serious injuries, including boat accidents. You should of course get medical attention first and then contact our attorneys soon after. We can begin advising you immediately and helping you determine what to do next to protect your claim.
What Type of Financial Compensation Can I Recover for Injuries Sustained in an Oklahoma Boat Accident?
Every case is unique, and so are the damages involved. Our attorneys spend a great deal of time getting to know you and the details of the incident so we can competently pursue every dollar you need and deserve. Although compensation can never be guaranteed, successful boat accident claims may award damages for:
- Medical expenses, both present and future
- Loss of income
- Pain and suffering
- Diminished quality of life
- Reduced earning capacity
- Assistive and adaptive equipment and in-home modifications
It’s difficult to put a dollar amount on all the ways you’ve been harmed because not all consequences will be financial. There are also emotional, mental and quality-of-life related damages that our attorneys are extensively familiar with.
Call Johnson & Biscone For A Boat Accident Consultation In OKC!
If you or a loved one was injured in a boat accident anywhere in the state of Oklahoma, please call the Oklahoma City law firm of Johnson & Biscone at 405-232-6490. Or, you can fill out the form in our contact page to book a meeting with one of our well-practiced attorneys! We look forward to helping you with your claim.