If you’re injured in a motorcycle accident caused by the negligence of another driver, you may be entitled to recover compensation for your damages. It’s important that you act quickly after suffering a motorcycle accident injury. There are certain deadlines, called statutes of limitations, imposed on these cases. If you don’t file your case before this deadline passes, you may lose your ability to recover the compensation you deserve.
In Oklahoma the statute of limitations in motorcycle accident cases is two years. This means you have up to two years after the date of the accident to file your lawsuit. However, there are a few exceptions to this rule:
- In cases of wrongful death, the two-year statute of limitations starts the day the victim died, not the date of the motorcycle accident.
- If your motorcycle accident injury is caused by a government employee or any entity covered under the Oklahoma Governmental Tort Claims Act, you only have one year to file your lawsuit.
- If the injured victim is mentally incompetent at the time of the injury, the statute of limitations may be delayed until the victim is considered to be mentally competent again. In these situations, the delay on the statute of limitations cannot exceed seven years.
Why Are There Statutes of Limitations on Personal Injury Lawsuits?
There are two main reasons why Oklahoma has set time limits on your ability to file a personal injury lawsuit:
- It protects the integrity of all evidence involved in the case – Over time, important pieces of physical evidence may become damaged or even lost. In addition, the memories of eye witnesses may become less reliable as more time passes. By setting a statute of limitations, it ensures your motorcycle accident claim is filed while all the evidence is still fresh.
- It prevents injured victims from using the threat of a lawsuit against a defendant indefinitely – This allows both parties to receive closure and move on with their lives in a timely manner.
Johnson & Biscone Can Help
The attorneys at Johnson & Biscone have been fighting for the rights of motorcycle accident victims in the Oklahoma City area for over 40 years. We know all the important deadlines associated with these cases, and we’ll make sure your lawsuit is filed on time. It’s important that you act now. Due to these statutes of limitations, it’s crucial that our attorneys begin building your case right away.
Please contact Johnson & Biscone using the form on this page or call 405-232-6490 today to schedule a free consultation. We serve clients in Oklahoma City, Edmond, Norman and the surrounding areas of Oklahoma.