There were more than 60,000 motor vehicle accidents in Oklahoma in 2020. Those crashes caused 654 fatalities, an increase of 2.2 percent compared to the previous year. While accidents happen in all sorts of contexts, intersections and areas surrounding intersections can be especially hazardous because of the meeting of multiple lanes of traffic. Based on an Oklahoma City crash map, it appears the following locations are several examples of intersections where car accidents often occur:
- S. Klein Ave. and Oklahoma City Blvd.
- Klein and W. Sheridan Ave.
- Reno and S. Klein
- W. Memorial Road and Pennsylvania Ave.
- SW 62nd St. and S. Western Ave.
- SW 59th St. and S. Western Ave.
- I240 and US 77
- I40 and I44 interchange
These are just a few examples. Any intersection in the city poses certain risks that you don’t necessarily encounter in other driving scenarios:
- Multiple lanes of traffic converging, traveling different directions, and meeting to cross each other at the intersection
- Speeding motorists trying to beat the light, or speeding through a red light
- A need for all motorists to obey the traffic signals
- Pedestrians using crosswalks while motorists are turning and traveling through the intersection
A moment of inattention, recklessness, or distraction can lead to very serious accidents in intersections. These crashes may involve pedestrians or bicyclists who are also attempting to get through the intersection.
While there are many busy intersections in our city, you can take steps to mitigate your accident risk. Although none of us can control the behavior and choices of other motorists, we can reduce our crash risk by being alert drivers, eliminating texting and other distractions behind the wheel, obeying the speed limit, driving sober, and obeying traffic signals.
What To Do If You Were Injured in a Car Accident in OKC
If you or a loved one suffered a serious physical injury in a crash in Oklahoma City or the surrounding areas, then you are probably eligible to pursue compensation in a claim handled by our experienced lawyers. For a free case review, please call Johnson & Biscone in Oklahoma at 405-232-6490.