If you’ve recently been injured in a car accident, you may be wondering whether you need to hire an attorney. While you’re certainly not required to do so, it is always a smart idea to consult with a lawyer, even if you weren’t at fault for the crash.
The financial burdens associated with a car accident can be crippling. You may face costly medical bills, lose wages due to time missed at work and require expensive vehicle repairs. Working with an experienced car accident lawyer can ensure your rights are protected every step of the way and help you maximize the value of your compensation.
Your Damages Are Reduced by Your Percentage of Fault
Oklahoma adheres to the doctrine of comparative negligence when determining damages in personal injury cases. Based on these laws, the money you recover will be reduced by the percentage of fault attributed to your actions. If you’re determined to be more than 50% at fault for the accident, you won’t be able to recover any compensation for your injuries.
Due to these laws, it’s crucial that you work with an attorney who can help you prove the other driver was at fault for the car accident. The other driver’s insurance company will have a high-powered legal team working hard to show your actions contributed to the collision. If they are able to successfully claim you were partially at fault for the accident, it can significantly reduce your compensation. Therefore, it’s important to have a lawyer on your side who can build an argument on your behalf that minimizes the amount of fault attributed to you.
A Lawyer Can Make Sure Your Compensation Reflects the Total Extent of Your Damages
Do you know how much your case is worth? The costs of your vehicle repairs are pretty cut-and-dry. The body shop will send you an itemized bill detailing how much the damage to your vehicle costs. You will also have medical bills that show how much it costs to treat your injuries. However, this most likely represents only a portion of the damages you suffered.
In addition to vehicle repairs and medical bills, you may also be entitled to recover compensation for:
- Future medical expenses – Our lawyers can help estimate the cost of additional treatments you may need in the future as a result of your injuries.
- Lost wages – If you had to miss work while recovering from your injuries, you may be entitled to recover compensation for any associated reduction in your paychecks. Our lawyers can evaluate the value of these lost wages to ensure they are included in the damages you receive.
- Diminished earning capacity – If your injuries prevent you from doing your job and you are forced to find employment that doesn’t provide a comparable salary, you may be entitled to recover compensation for this diminished earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering – In many instances, your compensation can be significantly increased by accounting for damages associated with pain and suffering.
- Punitive damages – While rare, it is sometimes possible to recover punitive damages in situations where the other driver’s actions were particularly reckless and egregious. Our lawyers will be able to evaluate whether you are entitled to seek punitive damages.
A Lawyer Can Negotiate with the Insurance Company on Your Behalf
It’s important to understand the insurance company is not on your side. Their goal is to pay as little as possible on your claim. They often accomplish this goal by making you a low settlement offer or attempting to get you to sign a waiver or release that prevents you from recovering the compensation you rightfully deserve. These predatory tactics are much more challenging to pull off when you are represented by an experienced car accident attorney.
Our lawyers will negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf. We’ll make sure their settlement offer fairly reflects the total extent of your damages, and we’re prepared to pursue your compensation in court if a settlement isn’t in your best interests. This is crucial to your ability to maximize the value of your compensation.
Contact our Oklahoma City Car Accident Attorneys
If you’ve been injured in a car accident caused by the negligence of another driver, the lawyers at Johnson & Biscone can help. Our consultations are complimentary, so it won’t cost you anything to learn about your legal rights and options. In addition, we work on a contingency fee basis, which means that we only get paid if you recover compensation. This ensures you aren’t burdened with costly legal bills while you are struggling to stay financially afloat after a devastating injury.
Please contact Johnson & Biscone using the form on this page or call 405-232-6490 today to schedule a free consultation. We serve clients in Oklahoma City, Edmond, Norman and the surrounding areas of Oklahoma.